iFixit has accomplished its intensive teardown of the Apple AirPods Max wi-fi headphones. The teardown has been in progress for the reason that headphones went on sale and is now full with a full record of all of the chips onboard together with a teardown of the Sony WH-1000XM4 and the Bose Headphones 700 alongside for comparability.
Here are among the key takeaways from this teardown.
- The grille for drivers is held by the everyday Apple pentalobe screws. However, they aren’t meant to be turned all the way in which however reasonably half-way to launch a locking wedge on the within. Despite doing that, the grille will not come off because it’s nonetheless held down by some glue.
- The twin cell battery pack is positioned solely on one aspect, the suitable aspect to be precise. Despite this, and the left aspect having no counterweight, the headphones seemingly aren’t unbalanced.
- The battery has 2.54Wh capability. The Sony 1000XM4 have 4.1Wh whereas the Bose 700 have 2.39Wh.
- The hinge has a reasonably elaborate and complicated electromechanical joint. This permits the hinge to switch electrical sign with out having cables working via the scarf into the earcups.
- Perhaps essentially the most attention-grabbing factor about this complete design is that headband plug into the earcups utilizing what appears to be like like a very thick Lightning connector. By urgent right into a gap utilizing a SIM ejector instrument, you possibly can simply detach the earcup totally from the scarf.
Overall, iFixit discovered the AirPods Max to be surprisingly serviceable, regardless that issues just like the glue beneath the grille and the selection of screws used make it tough to take action. They gave them 6/10, which is their first non-zero rating for an AirPods product.
While in comparison with the Sony and the Bose options, the Apple headphones exhibited superior craftsmanship in a method that just about justifies their $550 value and the internals make the opposite two headphones “appear to be toys compared”.
You can try the complete teardown, together with the x-rays, movies, and chip particulars within the hyperlink under.